Monday, June 14, 2010

The New Orleans Saints

No, I am not talking about the NFL football team. I am talking about the men and women of God that I have met and served alongside in their efforts to reach this city with the Gospel.

M.U.D. Ministries has been doing mission work in this city since Katrina, and there is so much yet to be done. Many big ministries that have had large budgets have come in and done a lot of good things. Many homes have been rebuilt and houses cleaned up. What disturbed me was a conversation I had with a brother whose ministry is on the brink of pulling out of New Orleans. He shared with me this past week that they have rebuilt or refurbished literally hundreds of houses since the hurricane. He shared with me that there have been a lot of people who have made a “profession of faith” in Christ. Then with almost tears in his eyes he said, “But I can count on one hand, the people that have actually remained in the faith and plugged in to a local church because we rebuilt their house.”

Rebuilding houses is a good thing to do for those who have been devastated by a hurricane. God wants us to help those who are in need. It is much easier to get volunteers to go and build and clean than it is to get people to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. However, building houses does not win souls to the Lord. Preaching the Gospel is what God uses to save souls. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but that is why the Lord called it foolish.

Recently, one associate pastor asked us to come to his church and do a survey. I thought this would be a great way to transition into a Gospel presentation. Then he told me that was not what he wanted. “I just want a survey to find out how we can meet their felt needs. We want to do something to make them feel good and come to our church. If we could just find out what it is that no one else is doing for them, we want to do that.” I almost screamed, “Well, you could share the Gospel! No one is doing much of that!!”

Such churches are well to be on Compromise Street. That is an accurate description for what they are doing. But not all are compromising.

Two faithful pastors are preaching the Gospel on the front steps of their church to drug dealers and prostitutes. Many of those have been converted and are now actively serving the Lord in the local church. These men do not go out once in a while to preach; they go out every day and preach. One Pastor, Bro. Oscar, told me that he has been preaching on the street for over 15 years and said that Katrina was not what has destroyed New Orleans. He said it is sin that is trying to destroy New Orleans.

I'm sure there are many others preaching truth...at least I pray that there are. The only hope for New Orleans, the only hope for the world, is Jesus Christ!

Praise the Lord that there are some true Saints still marching on in New Orleans. Pray for us as we descend on New Orleans in July with over 250 of God’s soldiers to take the Gospel to the streets of this city. If you are interested in going or bringing a group, please contact us at impact@mudministries.com today!!

I will be preaching in two Baptist Churches on July 25th in the 9th Ward. Pray for souls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment