Thursday, August 12, 2010

Nicaragua and God's Grace

by: Eric Hixon

I have been through many disappointments in life. I have lost many friends who have died or walked away from me because of my faith in Jesus Christ. Well, not just my faith, but because the old Eric died. He was made new and is still being changed by the grace of God.

One of the biggest blessings in my life has been my ministry in Nicaragua. I had spent most of my ministry in the United States and more specifically in the southeastern US. Then, several years ago, I was invited to go on a mission trip to Nicaragua, and I accepted. I did not plan on having a major life changing encounter with the Lord. It hit me out of nowhere when I was on the plane about to land. At first, I thought it was just the bumpy ride and the fact that I was farther away from my wife than I had ever been. I soon found out that it was God doing a work of grace in my life. It was a fear of God that made me well aware that He was with me. I was so convicted of my sins and spent much time confessing and repenting of my selfishness.

This was a work of grace because God would use this time to refine me and make me very uncomfortable. I would not have chosen this path...I assure you. I like the easy road. God, however, isn't all that concerned about what I want, He is concerned about what I need. I needed to spend some serious time getting my focus on Him. For that reason, most of my ministry has not been a path of ease...it has been difficult. That is what God allowed me to do through my first Nicaragua trip. I could give you all the details, and maybe someday the Lord will allow me that time; however, I just want you to know that I thank God for what He did in my life during that time.

I am now preparing to go back to Nicaragua again. I can't even tell you how many times this makes, but it has been a lot. I have been heartbroken in more ways than words can describe over the spiritual condition of Nicaragua. I've had people try to use me and take advantage of our tenderness toward these precious people. I've also made friends that are like family to me. God has used these people in each group to refine me and to make me into what He is wanting me to become.

In all honesty, I'm compelled to go back by in spite of the hard times and dissapointments. The Lord has allowed my heart to be touched by the children and the pastors of this country. Lord willing, M.U.D. Minsitries will soon be beginning a Bible Institute in Nicaragua with the vision of training pastors. Our desire is to help equip and train these men and show them how to do God's Work, God's Way, for God's Glory!

I assure you, it will be the grace of God if that is allowed to happen. There are those that say Central America is too overrun with missionaries. I would disagree. Yes, there are many who come down but few that teach sound doctrine. I've been told that I take the Scriptures too seriously, but I honestly don't think that is possible. Let God decide. These indigenous pastors need solid Biblical training! God will use them to do a work that only a Nicaraguan can do. The day may come when the doors to this country are shut to those like me. It is vital that these men get the Gospel and preach it. That door cannot be shut by any man.

For now, I ask you to pray for me and the 13 others that I have helped mobilize to join us on a mission to glorify God through serving others and making disciples as our King has commanded. If anything good comes from us, it will be a work of grace. I thank God for Nicaragua and God's grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment