Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Family Worship

The Word of God clearly implies that God deserves to be worshipped daily. In order to do that, we must worship Him in our own homes as individuals and families. I realize that there is no direct commandment in scripture to have family worship, however; it is clearly practiced and taught throughout the Bible.

You can go as far back as Genesis 18:17-19,

"The LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice, so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.”

A little later we also read, "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." (Deuteronomy 6:6-9 ESV)

It doesn't take a lot of thinking to realize that training our children in the way of God means much more than a trip to church a couple times a week. As a parent, I have first hand experience with this. I can honestly say, that my family worship times are a blessing. It is a blessing to see my children learn about the things of God. It is wonderful to see them worshipping the Lord together in our home.

I encourage you to begin today, if you haven't already, leading your family in worship in your home. I can give you this promise....you will never regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment