Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Health Does Equal Growth

I received a call some time ago that drove me to the Scriptures because something just didn’t seem right. A pastor called and said, “I want you to come do a revival at my church! I need you to come help me grow this church to its full potential. I want to see these pews packed!”
I talked to the Pastor and we did book the revival, only it was cancelled a month prior to the set time because the Pastor left and went to a larger church. The Lord used this to make me look at what God says about church growth. I came to the conclusion that spiritually healthy things do grow, but not the way that you may have been taught to think.
In the Scriptures, you never find Jesus being impressed with the crowds. However, many times large multitudes of people were saved, we read about that in the book of Acts. Numbers however was never the motivation, the Gospel was the focus. The Gospel went out and God added to the Church. In many churches, they have large numbers each Sunday but as many are walking away as are coming in. One preacher said, ‘The bucket is full but the problem is that the bucket has a hole in it!”
I’ve grown up in a church culture that has put much focus on programs and plans. I have listened to church growth guru’s, been trained in slick ways to present the Gospel, and even paid to go to seminars that would teach me a “way” to see the local church top out it’s seating capacity. I have learned one thing that I should have known all along, “If the Lord doesn’t build the house, the builders labor in vain.” Psalms 127
In my search for truth I have found, in regard to church growth, that Spiritually healthy things do grow. Here are my findings, and I am sure that there is much more that could be said on the subject of health and church growth. I hope this encourages you!

Growth and sanctification are evidences of Spiritual health (Psalms 92:12-14)
I. A growth in your knowledge of Christ (2 Peter 3:18). Are you more acquainted with the Lord and His ways than before? I do not know as much about Christ as I should but I have more understanding today than I have had in my past.
II. A growth in love (1 John 3:14). Do you love being around true Brothers and Sisters in Christ? Do you love God more? Are you more devoted to Him now because of that love?
III. A growth in faith. Do you trust the Lord to serve Him more? Are you reserved in your service because of fear of man or are you faithful to proclaim the Gospel? Our confidence is not in anything this world has to offer but in God. Pray that the Lord will increase your faith!
IV. A growth in watchfulness over your life. Do you guard your heart and pay attention to your life? Is it a habit to avoid things that can take your eye off Christ? Be sure to be vigilant in your battle against worldliness.
V. A growth in a contempt for this world (1 John 2:15-17). Do you love this world? I have an increased disdain for this world and all it has to offer. It is trash compared to the riches in Christ!

The Gospel is not a plan, but the “power of God unto salvation” (Rom. 1:16) Trust it and declare it! God will grow you like never before!

No comments:

Post a Comment