Friday, May 28, 2010

Uncomfortable Grace

I have been a student of God’s Grace for many years, and I still can’t wrap my mind around it! I have learned a few things and try to understand, but I am so glad that I have eternity with Christ because I think it will take that long to begin to understand. God is God, and I am only his willing servant.

As I consider God’s grace, I believe that most of the grace we experience on this earth is “uncomfortable grace.”

When we ask for God’s grace today, it is normally very “me” centered--asking for God to give us some kind of relief. When in truth, we need a grace that will refine us. I have had a deeper appreciation of grace over the past several years, and I can honestly say that it has brought about a much deeper awareness of sin. This, in turn, has given me an even more appreciation for grace!

God HAS taken me to places I didn’t intend to go. Like Nicaragua, New Orleans, and even scarier places….like my home town. Just two years ago, I made the statement that after all the heartache of serving on church staff I would not ever do that again. Well….I am now serving as an Elder at New Covenant Baptist Church. I never intended to do these things, but God uses all of these and more to produce in my own heart what I could have never achieved on my own.

When you find yourself in a situation that you didn’t “intend” to be in, remember, God is working in your life and is pouring out grace! Praise Him for it, and trust Him to be with you regardless of how uncomfortable it may be!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

1 comment: