Friday, May 14, 2010

Never Give Up

“Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute.” ~ Proverbs 31:8

I love children! I guess you can see that by the picture on this page. All of these children are my biological children. I love them, I believe, more than anyone has ever loved their children. I know, of course, that if you were typing this you would say the same thing about the love you have for your children.
If you have followed our lives, you probably know that we have been trying to adopt for several years now. We have been, quiet honestly, heartbroken through this process. We have had several “bad” experiences and many let downs. More than once I have thought about giving up. I have had every imaginable reason to do so...but the Lord wouldn’t allow me. God kept bringing me back to the fact that He adopted me. I was not a “desirable” child. Rebellious, wicked, selfish, you name it, I was not good! In spite of that, He pursued me and saved me from my deserved destruction.
We exhausted basically all resources in adopting children from Nicaragua. I have a heart for the orphans there and always will. We attempted to adopt from the United States, from both DHR and a adoption service that helped match children with parents. I had almost given up. Then, Rebekah, my precious wife, called me when I was out of town preaching a revival and said, “What do you think about China?” I said, “Not much.” I knew where she was going and I just didn’t want to go through this again. I put it off, but God, wouldn’t allow me to get this off my mind.
I saw this little boy, the called him Nolen. I thought that was ironic, being that is my mothers maiden name and tried not to get my hopes up again. I felt that we would just go through another rejection. We filled out some basic paper work and then we learned that I didn’t make enough in yearly wages to qualify without getting a waiver from the Chinese Government. “Well, that is great.” I thought. The Chinese Government is now going to say, “No. Your rejected.” I was not very hopeful to be honest.
On April 19th, I was heading to preach day #2 of a Revival service in Athens, AL. Rebekah and I had spoken the day before that we probably wouldn’t hear anything for at least 2-3 more weeks. I was trying to keep it out of my mind, and doing a good job of that. Then...as I am thinking on my sermon for the night, the phone rings. I thought, “Every time I get a moment the phone rings.” I saw it was from my home. I answered and I could tell it was Rebekah but she was...well...emotional. I immediately thought it was bad news. I didn’t have good signal anyway, she was saying something that I couldn’t understand. Then it came through, “Do you want to go to China?” I still was clueless about what she was trying to tell me. I said, “Yes. Why?” She said, “WE HAVE BEEN APPROVED TO ADOPT NOLEN!”
I didn’t know what to say. I just couldn’t actually believe someone said we could finally adopt. It took a while for me to believe it was really real. I’m still attempting to come to grips with being accepted. My wife is elated, my children are thrilled, and my close friends are supportive. I am thankful.
I am thankful that God didn’t give up on me. God went to battle for my soul and he was victorious. Adoption is not charity, it is war. I didn’t have a chance for eternal salvation apart from Christ. He came to me and rescued me. He gave me a voice before the Father and He has adopted me into His family. I’m even a joint heir with Him! He is my friend. I am glad He never gave up, and I am glad that I didn’t give up on adopting a little boy.
His name will be Josiah Nolen Junhay Hixon, Lord willing. I realize that I do not have him yet, but I’m not giving up. Rebekah and I are finishing some required readings and paper work, then it is just a matter of time before we get our travel approval. They are estimating us travelling in December or January to China to pick Josiah up.
Here is a quote from Russell Moore’s book, “Adopted for Life,” that inspired me.
“What if a mighty battalion of Christian parents would open their hearts and their homes to unwanted infants—infants some so called “clinics” would like to see carried out with the medical waste? It might mean that the next Christmas there’ll be one more stocking at the chimney in your house—a new son or daughter who escapes the abortionist knife or the orphanage’s grip to find at your knee the grace of a carpenter’s Son.”
As an itinerant Evangelist, I spend a lot of time sharing the Gospel with people that I do not know. I pray for those people and that God would save them before it’s eternally too late. I am also an Evangelist in my home. Training, equipping, mobilizing, and teaching my family to be on mission with God. Please pray that we will be able to go get Josiah. Who is an “undesirable” in his country because he has a few physical problems. Pray that he will come to know Jesus as his Savior and he will experience that moment when God says, “You are now in my family Josiah, you are my son now!”
If you would like to be a part of helping us bring Josiah home, you can make a donating to M.U.D. Ministries with the statement, “Suggested use: Adoption” on the check. It must say, “Suggested Use:” Please pray for us as we move closer to the frontlines in the battle for souls. This conflict is greater than any war fought in history, the stakes are eternal and we are going to stand and battle for truth! Will you be a part of that? I thank God for all of you who have partnered with us and continue to make an impact on eternity!

2 comments:

  1. I just can't wait to meet him!!! Levi will have another buddy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon and I both wept with joy knowing what is in store for Josiah and your family. We, too, are hoping to have possibly one or two more grandchildren this year when our son and daughter-in-law go to Congo, Africa, for their new family members. God is good.

    ReplyDelete